Sunday 23 January 2011

Train in Vain...

Achey legged stupor today.

Finally got out yesterday for some rather haphazard wanderings into Essex in the freezing cold and rain.  A 6.30am start was for nothing as my Garmin refused to co-operate and promptly had some kind of aneurism, leaving me to navigate solo and without map.  Cue 40 miles of befuddlement, stressfully packed A roads, cycle lanes full of every vehicle imaginable and general sensory privation.

This may make it sound like I don't like London, I do, but everything from the traffic to the urban sprawl and air quality makes cycling a less appealing endeavour so it's strange to have to really gee myself up to brave the maniacal driving and do something that I otherwise love.  Even the cycling infrastructure-laudable in sentiment but, like in Scotland, so half hearted and dumbfoundingly misconceived in its application-seems a total hindrance.

Maybe I just need to acclimatise.  Or start taking the train to fairer, quieter climes on the weekend for my main dose of training.

Either way, stagnation is not an option and now that I am here, I've got my bikes and there are no more excuses.  In saying that I may get on the hunt for a new turbo trainer to limit the amount of time spent tailing bendy buses or being harrassed by black cabs...

Ah.  It was a much anticipated but somewhat disappointing ride so its hard not to be negative-I just need a good one and more of them and I'll be grand...  Though the job interview I have for a position in the south of France next week is looking ever more tempting.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I'm building up the miles at the moment too, as I'm doing the Etape Caledonia in May like yourself.

    Although I live in North London I've been down to Crystal Palace on Saturday mornings to ride with a friend and the Dulwich Paragon club.

    Saturday is the casual "turn up and go," day, with a range of speed groups from casual to pretty flipping quick. They set off around 9am from Crystal Palace Parade (linkage http://bit.ly/gXTV5e)

    Last weekend there were around 75 riders. The regular route is about a 30 mile loop. They're a very friendly bunch, and it's much nicer riding in a group than solo.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    thanks for that-got a job interview in sunny Lichfield this coming Sat but hope to make it down the week after so might meet you in person then. If I'm still in London come the Etape Caledonia (there is possibility of a job in France if this interview goes well...) it'd be great to compare notes! You done it before?

    Thanks again and best wishes,

    Greg

    ReplyDelete